2.18.2009

amish for a reason (2)

Straw hats. White bonnets. Pointy beards. Weathered faces. Simple food. One suitcase for everything. These were some of my immediate observations that i made while traveling alongside a half-dozen Amish (i think) men and women aboard the greyhound bus line. I am not going to go into a long dissertation about the members of the Amish community, but I will say this. They are some of the most fascinating people I have ever observed or learned about. It is interesting that some of their beliefs & practices are similar to my very own (i.e. using public transportation and placing their religion at the heart of their daily lives). They may dress, speak and think differently than I do, but that is expected given their own culture and philosophies. I have often thought what questions I would ask them if I was presented with the opportunity, and I inevitably find myself thinking, "what are some of your honest opinions about American society and the typical American?" I think we all would be (shocked?) with their answer(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment