2.05.2009

ignorance is not bliss (mea culpa) (1)

During today's class, I was asked to present my electronic life notes (this blog) to my professor and classmates. in doing so, I was asked a question by my professor in which I included the phrase "colored people" in my response. After I finished my thought, my professor graciously, without intending to embarrass me (thank you, I appreciate that), informed me that the term "colored" is not an appropriate one. Rather, I should use the term "black" to refer to those members of African descent. I neither have a problem with this adjustment in my speech nor do I want to offend members of the black community. Just recently, my girlfriend, who is Latino and a native of Lima, Peru, corrected me when I asked her about the "Hispanic" people of Peru. She informed me that "Hispanic" is no longer an acceptable term and I should be careful when using such offensive language. It is interesting to me though that ever since I have been confused about how to address persons of African, Asian and Central American descent, I have not asked anyone (particularly members of those communities) how they would like to be addressed. I hope this public lesson (the appropriate & correct way to address individuals of different ethnic & racial backgrounds) will be one that I carry with me in all my future interactions and encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment